Care-Centered Syllabus Review Activities for Students
How many times have you answered student questions about information found in your course syllabus? How do we get students to read and check the syllabus for our courses? This interactive workshop reviews methods for setting up accessible syllabi and other ideas to invite students to engage with your syllabus, with a care-centered learning experience.
This workshop expands on the "syllabus" module in the Learning Access Through Universal Design (LAUD) asynchronous Canvas course, but you are not required to complete the LAUD course or module to attend this workshop.
Faculty or staff who participate in this workshop will be provided with templates, activity ideas, and working time (with guidance and assistance) to implement these accessible syllabi techniques into their spring courses.
This workshop, open to all JMU faculty and staff, is part of the College of Health & Behavioral Studies (CHBS) Inclusive Excellence Professional Learning Community (PLC) events, in collaboration with JMU Libraries and the Center for Faculty Innovation (CFI).
At the completion of this working session, participants can anticipate being able to:
- Develop an appreciation of a variety of ways to engage students with syllabus review at the beginning of a semester.
- Develop a compact and accessible version of the syllabus with core facts and factors from the more comprehensive version of the syllabus.
- Make progress toward developing multiple presentations and organizing syllabi information to make them more care-centered to students.
- Chelsey Bollinger, Assistant Professor (Early, Elementary & Reading Education) and JMU Libraries Faculty Associate
- Dayna Henry, Associate Professor (Health Sciences) and Center for Faculty Innovation (CFI)
- Daisy Breneman, Justice Studies and CFI
Join the meeting
This is a virtual workshop. The meeting link and password will be sent in the registration and reminder emails. The email will come from LibCal.
- Wednesday, January 11, 2023
- 1:00pm - 2:30pm