During this intensive summer series, participants will learn the skills needed to start creating educational multimedia content to enhance learning in their existing canvas courses.
Participants will learn best practices for creating a variety of educational media, ranging from pictures with interactive text elements, to videos that combine multiple content format. This series will give participants basic graphic design skills, tools, and time to begin creating content. Participants will complete the series with new content to embed into their canvas courses for the upcoming academic year. Participants will also learn how to find and use existing educational multimedia available through JMU Libraries for their courses.
During the week, participants will learn how to use several web based graphic design tools to create educational multimedia content. No experience is necessary and instruction will begin with the basics. After instruction, participants will use dedicated work time to design and create content for their canvas courses. Instructional designers and educational technology instructors will deliver instruction and will be available to help during content creation days.
This intensive series requires attendance for all four days of July 8-11. Please do not sign up if you cannot commit to attending all of the meeting times that week.
Instruction will be anchored in principles of multimedia learning theory (Mayer, 2009). The series will integrate current key issues in teaching and learning in higher education (EDUCAUSE, 2019).
Keywords: online and blended learning, accessibility, digital and information literacy
At the completion of this series, participants will:
- Gain awareness of how multimedia can impact learning through Mayer’s Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Learning
- Understand best design practices for creating educational multimedia
- Use several web based tools to create visual multimedia content
- Create educational multimedia content for existing canvas courses
- Embed new multimedia content in existing canvas courses
- Learn how to find educational media content through JMU libraries
- Share original new content with other participants and facilitators during a final day celebration
- Thursday, July 11, 2019
- 9:30am - 12:00pm
- TLT Lab (Room 5308)
- Rose Library